- This event has passed.
Phoenix College Adjunct Faculty Convocation
August 11 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
Each semester, PC Faculty Development in coordination with the Center for Teaching and Learning and Academic Affairs offers a morning of professional growth to all interested adjunct faculty. This informative and fun half-day of learning includes:
- One General Session.
- Two Learnshop breakouts focused on topics of interest in teaching and learning, and student success.
- A special one-hour pre-Convocation Orientation session for “New to PC” adjuncts!
Whether you are a new adjunct faculty member or a seasoned veteran, sign up for this great professional growth opportunity for all adjuncts teaching at least one class during Fall 2018 at Phoenix College.
NEW!!! This semester’s Convocation General Session will be held in the Janet Sessions Recital Hall (M Bldg Room 138).
See the Campus Map
- You will be compensated per hour for attending the entire Convocation^.
- A continental breakfast will be provided at 8:30 am.
- Convocation is offered a full week before the start of class allowing for more adjunct faculty to participate and take advantage of other learning opportunities (such as Canvas training) before classes begin. See the full Semester Essentials calendar for details!
The Fall 2018 Learnshop Sessions
We have an exciting and learning-filled line-up for you!
- Breaking up Lecture with Active Learning
- Building and Sustaining a Learning Community
- Connect to Complete: Your Role in Transforming Student Success
- Cool Tools for Cool C.A.T.s (Classroom Assessment Techniques)
- Discussing Discussions
- It’s a Small World: Increasing Cultural Competence
- Outstanding Adjunct Faculty Panel
- Planning Your Teaching Semester
- Practical Policies and Processes to Teach and Learn By
- Service Learning and You
Learnshops will be offered at 10:00 am and 11:00 am. Please see the agenda for more details including the facilitator, location, and description of each Learnshop. Please note that session descriptions are subject to change.
NEW! Employee Services Open Lab
Stop in to meet members of our Employee Services team following Convocation from 12 noon – 1:00 pm. Learn how to access information about your paycheck, complete important annual disclosures required of all employees, and more! Registration not required!
Post-Convocation Canvas Training
Join us to learn the basics of Canvas including creating assignments and assessments, sharing content and materials, communicating with students, grading work and more in an optional additional session following Convocation from 1:00 – 4:00 pm. This workshop is required to teach hybrid and online classes using Canvas or highly recommended for those creating a resource course for face-to-face instruction. Register Now. Note: This session is not eligible for a stipend.
^ Participants are compensated three-hours for attending the general session and breakouts. New to PC adjuncts also attending the “New to PC” session will be compensated for an additional hour. Partial funding will not be awarded.